No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICOC 1993 disaster…how bad was it?

I have a large collection of Hali magazines and grabbed the 7th ICOC Special Edition (Oct/nov 1993 issue 71) today for my morning reading. I was shocked to read what a total disaster the ICOC was in Hamburg in 1993. Some of you have been around for a long time and may be able to answer this. I know from the issue, Steve was there as they posted his picture in the back and a letter to the editor from him about the event. I also saw a picture showing Peter Hoffmeister “angrily removes his eagle group carpet from the exhibition on the opening evening”
    I am somewhat shocked at the turn of the events in Hamburg as it is a major carpet hub/area of Europe. I do understand this happened 31 years ago and it’s still shocking.
    Joe Lawrence

My memory is fuzzy, but I do recall the details about Peter Hofmeister removing his main carpet from the Turkmen exhibition. The organizers decided to set things up in to be reminiscent of the Turkmen native environment - high desert. They spread sand on the floor, to the horror of anyone with a main carpet. Peter Hofmeister was one of them, and he rolled up his carpet and took it away. Another exhibition gaffe that I remember was having trappings rolled up instead of spread out for display.

Hope this helps.

Steve Price

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X