Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Question about 2 rugs, 1 with writings - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old September 1st, 2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Luciano Valle
Members

Default Question about 2 rugs, 1 with writings

Hello,
I hope to get some news about two rugs I have recently purchased.
The first one is worn but old and I think could be from Caucaso (Armenia?): there is a writing with, maybe, the date 1919 but really the numbers could be letters, I do not know...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/R1Eb3fyb3qbfZm9w2

The second one is new or very recent since there is still a metal plaquette: to me, it is from Beluchistan but I could be wrong.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jb34YWua9XfMMXLU2

I apologize for my poor knowledge and hope in your expert opinion about these rugs.
Thanks a lot for your kind attention and greetings from Rome,
Luciano
Luciano Valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 08:10 PM   #2
Steve Price
Administrator

Hi Luciano

The first one is almost certainly Armenian. Armenian rugs are often incribed, and the inscription on this one looks like Armenian script. It is dated 1919; we probably have readers who can read the inscription. The 1919 date is consistent with the palette, which is pretty typical for the first half of the 20th century.

The second is Belouch group, which can include a number of weaving groups that have rather somber palettes with relatively little contrast. Most likely woven in Afghanistan in the second half of the 20th century.

Regards

Steve Price
Steve Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Luciano Valle
Members

Default Thank You

Hello Steve,
Thank You so much for your kind reply and for the news about these rugs: let's hope someone can tranlate the writing.
Thanks again and best regards,
Luciano
Old September 3rd, 2017, 05:16 PM   #4
Steve Price
Administrator

Hi Luciano

Many rug sealers are Armenian or of Armenian descent, and can read Armenian. If nobody translates it for you here, you might try sending a photo of the inscription to one of them by e-mail. Better yet, you could send it to he Armenian Rug Society. Unless it's a much longer inscription than what you've posted, it's probably just going to be a name + the date. The name might be the weaver, someone who recently died or a newborn.

Ciao

Steve Price
Old September 6th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #5
Luciano Valle
Members

Default Inscription translated and news about the carpet

Dear Steve,
as you suggested, I have written to the Armenian Rugs Society and its President, Mr. Hratch Kozibeyokian, was so kind to reply me.
I'll forward you his answer:

"The carpet you have is indeed Armenian and NOT Turkish as you state on the title page where you have the photos... Your rug most probably is woven in historic Artsakh, in the year of "1919", followed by abbreviations in Armenian alphabet of Armenian female and male names--"Va[rsenig] . sar[kis]", this indicates that your rug is a commemorative carpet most likely it was woven as a dowry for the marriage of Varsenig (bride) and Sarkis (groom)."

So now I am going to update the title of the web page.
Thanks to him and thanks to you too for having fully explained my armenian rug.
Ciao,
Luciano
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #6
Steve Price
Administrator

Hi Luciano

Do let Mr. Kozibeyokian know that you've corrected the attribution. This is a very sensitive issue with many Armenians.

Regards

Steve Price
Old September 7th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #7
Luciano Valle
Members

Default About the armenia carpet

Hi Steve,
yes, I know and I have already done it.
Thank you again and greetings from Rome,
Luciano