Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Caucasian Prayer Rug - Page 5 - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old July 21st, 2018, 06:56 AM   #81
Filiberto Boncompagni
Administrator

OK, for the sake of comparison, here is a Baluch bought in ’94 as new.
I want to clarify that the purchase was made by my wife - not because it's a Baluch, but because it's a Baluch I don't like.
The wool is dry and the brick red is too “bricky”’.

Regards,

Filiberto
Filiberto Boncompagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 01:09 AM   #82
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi Joy, et al.,

I have to lead off with a disclaimer: Personal tastes are just that... personal. So, some might find the examples below to be quite interesting or pleasing, and take umbrage at my disparaging comments..

Still, everyone is entitled to their opinion, including me.

Rich mentioned - revolting and dingy - colors earlier.

Both Rich and I (and as I recall, maybe James) spent a fair amount of time in Saudi Arabia and were frequent visitors to the various rug bazaars there. Ditto for Filiberto, except he was in Jordan.

There was a particular ilk of Baluch rug that began to appear (I am told) in the early 1970's and certainly ran through the 1980's and early 1990's, with colors that can only be described as ghastly - if - you are an aficionado of more traditional Baluch work.

There are hundreds of example images available on the web but most are on dealer or market websites, so we cannot make comments about them.

However, some enterprising individual put together a web page of Afghan war rug examples, most of which fit the - ghastly - bill to a T, in my humble opinion.

Note that I am not one to shy away from newer Baluch rugs if they have some endearing characteristics, but ghastly colors are just, well, ghastly.

For example, this classic with a flat muddy blue, an awful pistachio, an even more awful flat grey, a dull flat red, a flat medium bile green, a Day-Glo pink, and the everpresent (and in this circumstance, not so ghastly) brilliant orange:

Here is a link to the page, where you can fill your eyes with examples of colors one would not expect to see very often on Turkotek:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/these-tradit...y-m-1683286534

Here's another, from a different non-market site:

There may be some time in the future when such pieces become treasured collectors items, but I suspect I will be long gone before then...

Regards
Chuck
Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote