Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Pricing for binding repair on oriental rugs - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics

Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics Opinions on books, articles, recent auctions, exhibitions, etc.

Old July 21st, 2018, 01:12 AM   #1
Beth Thompson
Members

Default Pricing for binding repair on oriental rugs

In 2013, my three oriental wool rugs were cleaned, treated against moths, rolled and covered with heavy plastic by a local rug merchant so that they could be stored.

Last month, they had to be opened and inspected because they were in our flooded basement.

Insurance pays for anything that has to do with flood damage, including what is necessary to retreat the rugs so that they can be stored, as we won't be using them again for another two years.

The rug merchant discovered that some binding is starting to unravel. He says it has to be stopped right away or the damage will get worse. He wants to charge $150 for the work. This is not covered by our insurance.

Photos are below.

This price does not include pickup or delivery as that is included is what the insurance is covering.

Your opinions as to whether $150 is a fair price for what seems to be a small amount of damage would be most welcome.

Also, an explanation of the different ways an expert repairer would fix this problem would be very appreciated. I would love to become more educated about rug repair.

Thank you in advance!

Beth Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 11:38 PM   #2
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Beth,

I am not an expert on this subject, but I suspect you have a more serious problem than what to pay for selvage reinforcement. I think you have an insidious moth problem. I have to run out at the moment, but will add more comment later.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Larkin; July 22nd, 2018 at 04:55 AM.
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 04:55 AM   #3
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Beth,

The selvage binding (with wool yarn) would not commence "unraveling" while the rugs were in dead storage. The instances of trouble in your images, including what appears to be areas of pile disturbance around them, look very much like moth damage.

Not too long ago, the New England Rug Society received a talk from Buzz Dohanian, who with his family operates a rug cleaning business (begun by his grandfather) with a specialty in oriental rugs. He noted that the long term storage of rugs carried a considerable risk of moth damage, and that the risk is difficult to manage. He told of instances in which rugs in sealed storage were discovered completely eaten while still sitting in mothballs. As I said, I am not an expert, but I think the problem is moth eggs or larvae that go into the storage, then raise heck when they come into their own.

If I am right, I do not know what to tell you to do about it. The best thing one can do with rugs to protect them from moths is to move them regularly. That may not be feasible for you, but I think you need to take strong action. Maybe someone here can weigh in with good advice.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2018, 02:05 AM   #4
Lloyd Kannenberg
Members

Hi Beth,

I agree with Rich that moving your rugs around is probably the best way to protect them from moths. Regular vacuum cleaning is also good, provided your rugs are sturdy enough. The beater bar on the vacuum cleaner is fine for broadloom, but not rugs!

There are some chemical sprays for moth larvae used by professionals like Buzz; the active ingredient is usually pyrethrin. You can also "do-it-yourself" with commercial products like Ultracide that contain pyrethrin. It is necessary to repeat the treatment every 4-5 months to kill off the newly-hatched moth eggs. You can also go after the adult male moths with "moth traps" that use a pheromone on a sticky piece of cardboard. These are good for about three months, then must be replaced. The adult female moths don't fly around like the males, and I believe they are not affected by pyrethrin.

Buzz has cleaned and de-mothed rugs for me, and I have used all the commercial products mentioned above. I can't say this house is moth free (it sits in the woods), but the problem seems to be under control — for now.

Your question about repair is a serious one too, but best left for another exchange later.

Good luck and best wishes!

Lloyd Kannenberg
Lloyd Kannenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2018, 03:55 PM   #5
Phil Bell
Members

Beth,

The selvedge damage is minor and easily sorted. It is also unlikely to get any worse unless they are out and in an area of foot traffic. I would take a snippet (is that a word?) of the wool to a craft shop and get a skein of two ply tapestry wool. Then with a double strand through a needle secure in the existing selvedge by threading it through (on the back of the rug) the overcasting tying a knot then running it through again before oversewing the edging to match the current overcast. Finish off and tie in the same way as you started. If you lived within a hundred miles of Manchester I would pop down and do it for you. I most likely have the wool in stock. Appletons tapestry wool has the best colour range in the UK anyway.

As far as moth damage goes, the worst thing you can do is roll up dirty rugs and put them in dark but accessible place. You have ticked two of the boxes by sealing and cleaning them but I guess if there is moth in them already it makes it harder. Moth killer spray should kill off anything left but it isnt 100% for eggs. I think you should keep that one out and do the repair, spray it and keep an eye on it. then return it to its packaging once the coast is clear as they say.

Phil
Phil Bell is offline   Reply With Quote