Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. The Tatra Museum - Zakopane, Poland - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Traveler's Reports

Traveler's Reports Our readers are invited to report on their interesting rug-related voyages here. No Marco Polo tall tales, please.

Old June 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Marek Szymanowicz
Members

Hallo all interested..

I've been visiting Zakopane at the weekend and I couldn't avoid visiting the museum to have a quick look at least at few exhibited pieces of the collection..
I did not have a chance ;(
There was a temporary exhibition on the "120 years of the Tatra museum" - realy nice but NO RUGS.
I was told that they show it temporarily once a year some time in winter.

So if any of you want to visit - check first !!!
BUT - I found a copy of the catalogue - LAST ONE - so it was worth to visit anyway

regards
marek
Marek Szymanowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Marek,

If I understood everything, most of your posts of catalog images were from Cracow. Is that right? Have you posted any from the Zakopane catalog? We'd love to see some.

Rich Larkin
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Marek Szymanowicz
Members

Hallo Rich.

I didn't make myself clear I think so you got me wrong a bit.

The collection is devided between Zakopane and Wawel Castle in Cracow. In the castle they have about 60 pieces of which only about 15 are on the show together with other oriental art (chinese ceramics, cracow-paris rug from vienna, turkish tents and armoury. etc) - on the permament exibition called Art of the East.
The rest - about 100 pieces are in the Zakopane but they show it partialy on temporary exhibitions.

The catalogue I'm talking about is the only catalogue with pictures and info about ALL pieces and it was printed on the occasion of a greate exhibition in summer 2006 in the wawel Castle, where the whole re-joined collection was on the show. Front cover of the book is in my post earlier.

Pictures in post #3 are from Zakopane, and from post #11 are scanned from the book so some of them are from Zakopane some from the castle. I think they devided it more less like this: tribal, ethnic and folk character in Zakopane, and because of the characteristic of the place- oldest ones ,prayer rugs, palace rugs, area rugs... in the Castle.

regards
marek
Marek Szymanowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Rich Larkin
Members

Thanks, Marek. Got it.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote