Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Shirvan Prayer Rug With Uncommon Motif

View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2018, 04:34 AM   #31
Chuck Wagner
Administrator

Rich,

On the question in your prior post: Yes, you are misreading the images. Looking at my first image (the back, selvage, and kilim end) you can see that the width of one selvage cord is the same at the width of both nodes of a single knot, thus two warps, at least.

I think the "pinching" we see in the kilim ends is due largely to the absence of knot yarn in the kilim end. For rugs that don;t have meaningful warp depression, the knot yarn necessarily makes the pile part of the rug wider than the simple kilim ends. That, and some tension issues, cause puckering - I think.

I don't have as good an explanation for the irregular, uneven behavior in the pile section. The whole thing, lies flat other than the ends. But, there are micro-unflats all over the place. Go figure.

Getting back to the waq-vaq topic for a moment, an interesting but pretty worn Kirman rug sold over the weekend that had the following motif; obviously a dragon - far more obvious than what we usually see on vaq-vaq-like pieces such as mine - and maybe a message for design interpreters:

Regards
Chuck