Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - You have mail from Turkmenistan

View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Pierre Galafassi
Members

Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot for your link, I’ll give a look to Tucker’s paper asap and try to find a copy of Gorshenina’s book.

Did you ever hear of any book by General Komarov, treating of his stay in Transcaspia? Given his supposed passion for rugs and his contacts with Yomud-, Tekke, Saryk- and Salor leaders, one could hope some comments of interest for ruggies.
Given his social level it could have been written either in French or in Russian. Komarov is mentioned on the net as having authored quite a few memoirs, but none discussing his Turkmen period is known to me yet.

I agree with your comments about traveler’s credibility (or lack of-): some were superficial tourists, others, British and Russians especially, clearly had an agenda of their own at the time, other Europeans got most of their informations from Russian military sources, at least a famous one (Vambery) enjoyed in his time a completely underserved trust in UK etc.…
And like you, I do hope that local historians or Russian ones, now free from the Soviet straightjacket, will bring interesting new informations. Although, given the present political situation one will still have to take Turkmen historians a bit cum grano salis too.

Again, Andy thanks for contributing to this thread, please do go on!

Regards
Pierre
Pierre Galafassi is offline   Reply With Quote