Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Repairing

Thread: Repairing
View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2018, 05:25 PM   #4
Phil Bell
Members

Rich/Chuck,

Yes I used to own the Peter Stone book. A collector bought it for me with the intention of me working for him many years ago. He had a wonderful collection and that is where my love of tribal rugs started. I have since lost the book in the course of a dozen house moves but I remember the principles.

I wax my warps before threading under knot loops and wefts, tie a knot and then reinsert before reaching the hole. Once the hole is crossed I loop around and reinsert under the next knot loop, rinse and repeat as they say.

There is always a danger of breaking the knot loops or wefts, which is why I sometimes reduce the size of the warp and wax it well. I use pliers to pull the needle through while holding my finger over the knot loops to lessen the chance of breakage. That is the critical point and one must assume that the needle may suddenly come out with some force so the exit path should be free. I have learnt this from painful experience.

I don't pretend to be good at this by the way, I am only ok. That is why I wonder if I should be working on older pieces.

Phil
Phil Bell is offline   Reply With Quote